- How and when behaviors spread between individuals - e.g., do energy conservation behaviors in the workplace spread between coworkers?
- Factors influencing theconsistency of individuals' behaviors ("behavior spillover") - e.g., do people who purchase energy efficient devices also conserve energy at home?
- The relationship between systems thinking and the spread and spillover of behavior - e.g., do people who appreciate that others also need to save energy to mitigate climate change talk to others?; do people who understand that saving water also saves energy perform both behaviors?
- Theoretical models of behavior maintenance - e.g., when do people not only initiate a new behavior, but maintain that behavior over time?
- Use of meta-analysis to assess intervention research and inform policymakers about evidence-based interventions
Peer-Reviewed Empirical Publications
Maki, A., McKinney, E., Vandenbergh, M. P., Cohen, M. A., & Gilligan, J. M. Employee energy benefits: What are they and what effect do they have on environmental behavior and employee morale? (accepted pending minor revisions). Energy Efficiency. Preprint
Moses, J. F., Dwyer, P. C., Fuglestad, P. T., Kim, J. S., Maki, A., Snyder, M., & Terveen, L. (in press). Encouraging online engagement: The role of interdependent self-construal and social motives in fostering online participation. Personality and Individual Differences. Accepted version
Maki, A., Cohen, M. A., & Vandenbergh, M. P. (in press). Using meta-analysis in the social sciences to improve environmental policy. Chapter to appear in W. Leal, J. Callewaert, & R. Marans (Eds.), Handbook of Sustainability and Social Science Research. New York City, NY: Springer Publishing. ChapterPersonal blog post
Maki, A. (2017). Environmental Psychology. Chapter in E. Wohl (Ed.), Oxford Bibliographies in Environmental Science. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Maki, A., Carrico, A. R., & Vandenbergh, M. P. (in press). Doing the wrong things for the right reasons: How environmental fallacies affect environmental behavior. Chapter to appear in B. G. Southwell, E. A. Thorson, & L. Sheble (Eds.), Misinformation and Mass Audiences. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press. Publisher linkAmazon link Select book coverage: NiemanLabVox
Snyder, M. & Maki, A. (2015). The psychology of volunteerism. In J. D. Wright (Ed.), International Encyclopedia of Social and Behavioral Studies, Second Edition. Oxford, UK: Elsevier Science. Request article
Manuscripts under Review
Maki, A., Dwyer, P. C., Gabrielsen, S., Snyder, M., & Gonzalez, R. Help giving after natural disasters: Responses to the 2010 earthquake in Chile.
Maki, A., Vandenbergh, M. P., & Wallston, K. A. Do political conservatives prefer private sector action to mitigate climate action? An experimental examination. Vanderbilt University media coverage
Manuscripts in Preparation (* copies available upon request)
Corser, R. J., Maki, A., & Haws, K. L. The role of systems thinking in meat consumption: An experimental test.*
Maki, A. The spread of behavior: When and how do proenvironmental behaviors spread to other people and other behaviors?*
Maki, A. Who tries to spread their proenvironmental behaviors to other people and other behaviors?*
Maki, A., Carrico, A. R., Raimi, K. T., Truelove, H. B., Yueng, S., & Araujo, B. A meta-analysis of experimental research on environmental behavior spillover.
Maki, A., & Vandenbergh, M. P. The social predictors and carbon costs of food waste.*
Ng, S., Vandenbergh, M. P., Barkenbus, J., Maki, A., & Raimi, K. T. The role of recycling in mitigating climate change.*
Panos, M. E., Maki, A., & Rothman, A. J. The effects of social norms and default behaviors on the decision to eat. Under review at Appetite.*
Raimi, K. T., Maki, A., Dana, D. A., & Vandenbergh, M. P. The moral hazard of geoengineering as a response to climate change.*
Maki, A., & Lauber, J. (2012). UMore Park: Culture and community action plan. The Sustainable Community at UMore Park: Aspirational Goals and Action Plan for Sustainability, Minneapolis, MN: UMore Development LLC.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.